5 Ways to Stop Being a Starving Artist in 2013


Freelance Artist 
Graphic  | WEB
PHOTOGRAPHER 

KHMERICAN, ADOBE, MUA, FREELANCE, GRAPHIC, WEB', CSS, HTML5, DESIGN, DESIGNER, PHOTOGRAPHER, DREAMWEAVER, PHOTOSHOP, CLASS, OF, 2013,

KHMERICAN, ADOBE, MUA, FREELANCE, GRAPHIC, WEB', CSS, HTML5, DESIGN, DESIGNER, PHOTOGRAPHER, DREAMWEAVER, PHOTOSHOP, CLASS, OF, 2013,

This is the month when tons of college people have finish their degree in some type of field, well for me "class of 2010" I major in Multimedia and Photographer + minor Art History. I did not know what crap I will get myself into. But for this blog I will you my story I how I did it and how I networking to boost my freelance career as an artist.
You can do graphic at home and at night you can record a footage for a free music video. probably starting off as a free gig to paying $50.00 for the graphic work you spend hours on and recording a music video + you have to edited so the end of that week or day you make $100.00 but you rent is due by next 2 weeks. So how can you pay your rent on time? Be smart, have a "safe job" warehouse, Starbucks, selling lemon,etc part-time and do gigs on the side, build your portfolio with clients you can trust and help you get into their zone of community ( Referrals). Graphic-design is a piece of cake but if you can design a website + code why charge. Remember you still starting off so get as much client as you can.. Get 5-6 good work from an individual client or a non-profit put that into your portfolio (print + website + resume) then look for head-hunter (agencies) how can you find head-hunter? well they mostly gonna find you ! apply on website such as Monster,Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. then when you start applying 100+ you will be in a data base (very simple) make sure to check your phone number a lot and email. OK then you got a contracts from the headhunter then use that contract to spend on more art stuff (adobe, laptop, etc) don't feel like you tight or cool because you got a contract ! make sure you get equity or some type of good profit "WHY"? because you can lose that contract or it can only be 6-8 months (unemployment cover contract only if you work there for 6 months) BUT BUT BUT REMEMBER TO DO GIGS ON THE SIDE TO BUILD YOUR PORTFOLIO !!! ALWAYS BUILD YOUR PORTFOLIO EACH YEAR UPGRADE !!!

TIPS (if you freelance save up your receipt for taxes ! BUY A GEAR? save up! buy a camera or lunch with a client)
  1.  work part time  while doing gigs to build your portfolio
  2.  Put all work into a portfolio (website, Print, and Resume)
  3.  find an agency or agent (head-hunter)
  4.  got a job? or contract still do gigs on the side !!!
  5.  save up if you lucky to be at a start-up ask for equity when the first year there.
this is information is base on my career, I make $45,000.00 from being  Jr Art-director focusing on web + marketing. I still do gigs on the side with photography, film, and selling product which add up to $15000 per year. I have finish college in 2010, took me 2 years to build a strong portfolio ! and now I believe when we in the game cont. to keep growing !!! upgrade all ADOBE AND GEARS.. Wish everyone good luck and remember each artist has a competition be strong and make sure to keep your head up ! RANK UP YOUR VALUE WILL GO UP !!! BUT REMEMBER WE ARE ARTIST AND WE NEED OUR BUSINESS SIDE TO MAKE A LIVING !!! DO PROJECT AND SHOWCASE IF YOU HAVE A FEW DOLLARS LEFT OVER.

any question? please visit my portfolio website below !!! or add me on facebook and send me an inbox !!!

UI/UX DESIGNER

GRAPHIC/WEB-DESIGNER

WEB DEVELOPMENT 

PHOTOGRAPHER

2013



Don't forget to check out Jaya Production Portfolio and updates

Comments

Jeba said…
Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. This is a really well written article.
I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I'll definitely comeback.

You are welcome to my blog: How To Get Money Without Adsense
Xplore IT Corp said…
Hey Nice Blog!! Thanks For Sharing!!!Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!
Embedded systems training in coimbatore

Popular Posts